Saturday, October 30, 2010

Five Knots You Need to Know! (SFM, Oct/Nov 2010)

From the Oct/Nov 2010 Hints & Tips Issue of Susquehanna Fishing Magazine. Download this and other back issues free online:
http://susquehannafishing.com/

By Nathan Follmer

One of the most overwhelming aspects of fishing is choosing the right knot. Think about it for a minute – there are hundreds of different knots being used today, so how do you know which one is right for which situation? The short answer to this question is that there really isn’t a correct answer. It all comes down to personal preference and even your own ability to tie some of these complicated knots. I’ll show you some of my favorite knots. I chose most of these because they are simple, strong and very easy to tie – especially in mid-winter when you’re freezing and can’t seem to get your hands to work.

San Diego Jam Knot -

I haven’t used this first knot very long, but I wish I had found out about this one sooner. Anytime you feel the need to use an ‘Improved Clinch’ knot, give this one a try – “The San Diego Jam”.

I started using this knot when I tied my lures on straight to braid. ‘Improved Clinch’ knots just do not hold well enough with braid. I eventually started using this knot on most of my lure-to-line applications. This knot has not slipped or broken on me yet and that’s more than I can say for the ‘Improved Clinch’!

Rapala Knot -

The next knot is another lure-to-0line knot. This knot is fairly popular, but I still do not see people using this as much as they should. The ‘Rapala Knot’ is a great knot to use on any hard bait. It can also be used on nymphs while fly fishing. This knot frees the lure and allows for a more natural presentation.

This knot looks difficult, but it really is easy after a few practice runs. Keep this one simple, just tie an overhand knot, bring the tag end through the overhand knot, and then finish just like you’re tying an ‘Improved Clinch’. This knot really excels on suspending jerkbaits and nymphs, but can also be used on crankbaits and topwater lures.

World’s Fair Knot -

Another great knot that I have just recently started using is the ‘World’s Fair’ Knot. This knot is a great knot to use when you’re dropshotting. It’s fast, easy to tie and very strong. I have used this on braid, mono, and fluorocarbon with no issues.

I also use this to tie on dry flies when I need them to sit perfectly on top of the water. This is a lightweight knot that will keep your knot from pulling the fly into the water.

Alberto Knot -

Ok, we covered knots that connect lure to line, now let’s move on to some knots I use to attach leaders onto my main line. The one knot that I use almost all the time with leaders is the ‘Alberto Knot’. This knot is a modified version of the ‘Albright Knot’ and is actually easier to tie.

This knot is very strong – I have actually broken 65 lb. braid with the knot being unaffected. Some people like to add a drop of super glue or nail polish to this knot, but I change leaders so often that I don’t see the need to do this. This is the slimmest knot I have seen and it has no problem traveling through guides.

Nail-less Nail Knot -

Here is one for all you fly anglers out there – ‘The Nail-less Nail Knot’. I’ll be the first to admit that I hate tying a nail knot. I still cannot tie one without having to start over multiple times, so this knot is perfect for me.

I’ve seen a few different ways to tie this knot, but I find this is the easiest way to tie it when using those very small leaders.

The last thing I will say about tying these knots is to practice. I’ve tied most of these knots so many times that I can do them in the dark. These may feel awkward at first, but soon you will develop a muscle memory and will be able to tie these as fast as you can tie your shoes! Remember, knots are very important to landing those big fish, so make sure they are tied properly, look neat and are lubricated before tightened.

Nathan Follmer is the owner and creator of ‘Fishing In Pa’, a website dedicated to all things fishing in Pennsylvania. Nathan is an avid bass and trout angler, but will fish for any species. Some of his favorite places to fish are the Juniata River, Raystown Lake and Penn’s Creek. Feel free to contact him with any questions at Nathan@fishinginpa.com.