Monday, July 18, 2011

You Know it’s Time to Toss a Spinnerbait When… (SFM, April 2011)

From the April 2011 issue of Susquehanna Fishing Magazine.
To download this and all back issues free, visit SusquehannaFishing.com:

http://susquehannafishing.com/

By Juan Veruete



I’m not a big believer in absolutes when it comes to fishing. I think fishermen sometimes limit themselves by making statements like, “suspending jerkbaits are clear water baits” or “big baits catch big fish”. These kinds of statements and beliefs can be our worst enemy if we cling to them too tightly. I’ve seen fishermen stick with a bait that just isn’t working on a particular day because “It should work”. I’ve certainly been guilty of this at times. That being said, it’s always good to have a few mental guidelines as a starting point to help us make decisions about what bait may work under certain conditions. Since the spinnerbait is one of my favorite lures for catching river smallmouth, I thought I’d outline some of the conditions that tell me it’s time to toss a spinnerbait!

Rising Water

Rising water initiates of a variety of conditions that are perfect for spinnerbait fishing. First, the water is typically stained or muddy. The bigger profile of a spinnerbait and the vibration the blades produce is perfect for these water conditions. Also, fish feeding behavior is very often activated by rising water. When the fish are in a feeding mood and willing to chase a bait down, a spinnerbait can help you cover water quickly and catch the biters. Pay close attention to feeder creeks on the river system you are fishing. Sometimes they will receive a “blast” of water that the main river has not. This will often create a “mud line” several hundred yards downstream. Fish will move along the mud line to feed, creating another great opportunity for spinnerbait fishing.

Cloud Covered Days

Despite water conditions, cloud cover can create low light conditions that are conducive to fishing with spinnerbaits. When it is sunny, fish tend to hold tight to shade that plant life, wood, or rock can create. In sunny conditions, fish may be hesitant to move from their position to chase down a bait. When cloud cover moves in, fish will often begin to roam and feed. I’ve seen this happen many times when fishing rivers. If I notice that the day alternates between sun and intermittent cloud cover, I’ll often make sure I have a spinnerbait tied on. When the cloud cover moves in, I start chucking the spinnerbait!

Chutes and Ladders

I use the term “chutes and ladders” to describe sections of river that have either ledge rock or rock accumulations that create a cluster of eddies and water chutes (downstream V’s). I call them “chutes and ladders” for a reason. The “chutes” are the downstream “V’s” that bring food to the fish holding in eddies. The “ladders” are the small eddies created by the rock where the fish hold… kind of like resting on a rung of a ladder. Spinnerbaits are great for fishing these types of waters for a couple of reasons. First, you can move the bait fast through the chutes, which triggers the fish’s instinct to hit the spinnerbait before it misses the opportunity. In this situation I’m really looking for a reaction bite, so I will fish “chutes and ladders” with spinnerbaits even if the water is clear. The other reason I like fishing spinnerbaits in this type of water is that you can quickly “strain” water as you pass through the fast water. Basically, the spinnerbait allows you to hit many targets quickly and accurately.

Over the years I’ve been able to boat some really nice smallmouth using spinnerbaits in the types of waters and situations I’ve described. There is nothing like having a smallmouth bass slam your spinnerbait so hard it nearly rips the rod out of your hand! That’s one of the reasons I love fishing spinnerbaits. Fish seem to have a lot of animosity for this bait. I often wonder what it is about the combination of metal and rubber that makes smallies see red. Regardless, I’ve had some heart stopping moments tossing a spinnerbait. I’m always eager to tie one on the end of my line!

Juan Veruete is owner and operator of Kayak Fish PA, LLC (KayakFishPA.com) and offers Guided Kayak Fishing Classes on the Juniata River and various other waters of central Pennsylvania. He has nearly 40 years of fishing experience on the waters of Pennsylvania and is on the pro-staff of Temple Fork Outfitters, Winco's Custom Baits, and Kayakbassfishing.com.