Saturday, March 5, 2011

Elements, Part I (SFM, February 2011)

From the February 2011 issue of Susquehanna Fishing Magazine.
To download the most recent and all back issues free, visit SusquehannaFishing.com:

http://susquehannafishing.com/

By William Milheim

I’ve been fishing for forty six years now, and guiding for half of that. I’ve taught both my sons to fish, a few of my nephews, some friends, and even my wife. I love every minute of it! I have guided both people who are just starting and veteran anglers. I can’t say I’ve seen it all yet, but I’m getting close.



I spent over one hundred days on the river last season. I guide on the North Branch. Besides the excellent fishery, it has some beautiful scenery. I’m not blowing my own horn, but my job is to put people on fish... It’s that simple. I wish it were as easy as fishing and getting paid for it. Not only do I have to adjust for my clients’ skill level, but changes in weather and water, and all the other factors that affect a day’s fishing.

It’s disheartening to talk with fishermen who have no understanding of some of the key elements that effect a day of fishing. At my booth during outdoor shows and at my seminars the most asked question is what bait I use. As if there is a magical guide bait. When I tell them what I use they look at me as if I’m telling a tall tale. I explain to them while bait is certainly a key element, it’s not first on my list, and my tackle box has a lot of room in it, as I only use a few different baits and a very limited amount of colors to catch the eye of a smallmouth.

The elements I consider before going on the river are in this order; weather, water temperature, dissolved oxygen, lunar table, bait and bait presentation, water level, flow and water clarity. As you see, bait isn’t on the top of the list. I know the elements I can’t control, but they need to be considered nonetheless. Once the non-controllable elements are met, then I’ll select bait.

The first element, weather, is the big one in my opinion. Weather has a huge factor on a day of fishing. I know the fish are there, yet I’m not catching any. Is it the bait? Doubtful. If you need to place blame, most of the time it’s the weather. In my years of fishing, I know being out on the river as a front is passing equates to bad catching. There are three types of fronts; cold, warm and stationary. Fronts bring in either high or low pressure systems. A close eye on the weather will be an indicator on how they will be biting. If possible, I want to fish before a front comes through. Fish tend to be very active and feed hours before the front hits. Fishing as the front is passing through, most times is slow. The lateral line of a fish will sense the change and makes them inactive. Warm front high pressure has less effect, than say a cold front high pressure. Cold fronts are not a fisherman’s friend, fish tend to shut down. I’ve found the best times to fish are before fronts arrive, and a day after it leaves. Smallmouths don’t react to weather changes well. It takes a day or so for them to become active again. Good days to go out are day two of a high pressure system, or day two of a low pressure system. A good stable weather system is the start of good fishing times. Other weather conditions to consider are wind, rain, and snow. The North Branch (where I fish all the time) is notorious for its upriver drift. No matter where on the river you are, you cannot escape it. The wind blows the boat up the river. For the most part, if it’s that windy the fishing is slow, most likely a front is blowing in. Rain can equate to a front on top of you. This means you’re getting wet and not much luck. Or it’s a low pressure system that’s been around a while and the fishing is good. You’re still getting wet, but you don’t mind as much. Raindrops hitting the surface of the water tend to make fish at ease, as do waves. They will move into shallow water to feed. As far as snowy conditions, they’re just like rain with one exception... You won’t find me out there. I hate the cold!

It seems there are more and more time constraints on fishermen these days. So much time is taken up by work, “honey-do” lists, and chasing kids. It cuts into our time on the river. In my opinion, weather is a huge factor. If you have the time to fit in a few hours of fishing during the week, check the weather first. If you’re fishing time is limited, perhaps by checking the weather you can do a chore on the “honey-do” list, and wait for the weather to be on your side. I’m not a weatherman by any stretch, but keeping an eye on the weather will increase your fishing success. Paying closer attention to the weather, you’ll be able to set patterns and know how it plays a role in catching. The old fishing phrase “a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work,” probably started out from someone fishing while a front was coming through.

There are good days and slow days fishing. Weather plays a roll in it. Next month we’ll look into water temperature and how it links into our fishing success.

Bill Milheim has been fishing and guiding the North Brach of the Susquehanna River for over 25 years.