Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Keeping an Outdoor Journal (SFM, January 2011)

From the January issue of Susquehannna Fishing Magazine.
Download the current and back issues free via SusquehannaFishing.com:
http://susquehannafishing.com/

By William Milheim

I don’t know at what age my memory started slipping, but man I am forgetful. The other night I made a list for food shopping, because I cannot rely on my memory (or my wife’s). I listed everything we needed; bread, milk, shaving cream, etc. I get to the store and realized I forgot my list. How many of us walk into a room and forget why we came in there in the first place? I turn 51 in a couple of months and will probably forget it before it comes.

One thing I’m glad for is I started an outdoor journal back in 1982. There is no way I can remember all of my years of outdoor experiences. I got a hard cover journal at an office supply store and my first entry was April 8th, when I went shad fishing with my Father. We caught four that afternoon. From then, I have almost the entire 800 page journal filled. Whenever I go fishing, afterwards I take the time to write it down.

Being a fishing guide, keeping a fishing journal has many benefits. It’s a perfect way to track many of the elements we as fishermen depend on for our success. An example of an entry in my journal would include the date and time I went fishing, as well as location and the weather, water conditions, bait used, who I was fishing with, and how successful the trip was.


The author on the Susquehanna.

The key points in an entry will aid in future trips; it will give you accurate times and dates. After a few seasons of entries you’ll be able to predict when the spawn will start, or when the fall bite will kick in. Is it better to fish in the morning or in the evening? A quick check on the weather before you go fishing and you’ll be able to set patterns on how the weather affects fishing. Water conditions and water temperature are very important. Note the successful bait used and the location where they were used, and you’ll have some great information for future fishing trips.

We all know fish are on a schedule, often times driven by water temperature and moon phases. Having a journal will take some of the mysteries out of next year’s fishing trips. It will give you a good base to start from. The more in-depth the entry into the journal, the more beneficial it will be for next season. After only a few fishing seasons you’ll be able to set patterns that give you a better understanding of your target fish.

Some of my entries are just a one liner, quick and to the point. Some take a half a page or maybe more. Sometimes my entries will be filled with sightings of eagles or trees coming into bloom or if your fishing buddy gave a good recipe or told a good joke. A good day fishing will be entered with how many were caught and the sizes.

I look back at some of the entries, and the memories of the day are relived. I find myself reading it on those cold, snowy nights; it’s what starts my cabin fever. I use this time of year to extract information to apply to the upcoming season, such as ordering baits, selecting the right colors, using averages to predict spring pre-spawn smallmouth, and when to start my season.

Keeping a journal is a great way to keep your fishing experiences alive and not trusting to memory. It will give you information and instil confidence for upcoming fishing seasons. You will feel more prepared and ready to get on the water.

Bill Milheim has been fishing and guiding the North Brach of the Susquehanna River for over 25 years.